Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thanksgiving Announcement

My husband and I would joke around that once we figured out to have one child, the next came along.  Once we figured out how to have two children, our third came along!  It was definitely an adjustment!  Having three kids under three years old meant a lot of activity, noise, and neediness.  All three were in diapers, none could pour a cup of milk, get dressed, brush teeth, or do anything for themselves!  And, even though it should have been fresh in my memory, I had forgotten how little newborns were (in size) and how little they sleep!  For the first three months of Elizabeth’s life, all I did was feed the kids or change diapers.  However, slowly we fell into a pattern and life began to settle down.  At seven months, Elizabeth began sleeping through the night and I finally felt like things were getting back to normal.  Elizabeth was eating more food at this point as well as take a bottle, so I was able to leave for a few hours and not have to worry about having to get back to feed her.  

My body was also getting back to normal.  After 8 months I began to cycle again.  I talked to my doctor in Omaha and he said that if I wanted to get pregnant again, I would have to go on all the hormones again.  Although some fertility problems can correct themselves, I had so many that it was not likely.  Plus, I was still nursing and my cycles were all over the place, so I began to settle into life with three kids.  

We decided to have Thanksgiving at our house with both sides of the family over.  People were coming over around 1, so our family had a few hours together with time to cook and talk.  I made the comment to Brock that I wondered when my periods would be back to normal and he said back to me, “maybe you’re pregnant!”  After everything we went through as well as us having almost no chance of conceiving on our own, it was more of a funny comment than anything.  But, I was on day 35 of my cycle, and I really wanted to have a few drinks for Thanksgiving.  Plus, I had an extra pregnancy test in the bathroom.  The test came back what I like to call, “kind of pregnant.”  The “pregnancy line” was kind of blue.  What’s up with that?  So, I went to the doctor to get an accurate test done.  I got back home about 20 minutes before our guests.  Then, right before we were going to eat, I got the call.  I was pregnant!!!  Although all of our kids were “surprises” this one won “best surprise ever!”  

I told Brock and we decided that since it was the one time both our families are together a year, we needed to tell them.  So, as Brock gave the toast for dinner, he toasted to our families now as well as our growing family.  We really should have gotten it on video.  I’m not sure who gave the most surprised comment or face, but there wasn’t one person in the room who we didn’t completely blindside.  I’m pretty sure though, that Brock and I were the most surprised!  This now meant we would have four kids under 4 ½ years old.  God sure has a sense of humor!  One thing that was for sure was that God had a plan for this little one to be here with us...

No comments:

Post a Comment